Grace Chapel, Sherbrooke, QC
The assembly at Grace Chapel, Sherbrooke, QC was begun in 1940 at 489 Montreal Street, principally through the efforts of two medical doctors, Arthur Hill and William Klinck, and their families. The Christians moved through several addresses on the same street until the present building at 267 Montreal Street was purchased in 1942. David Long gave a helping hand during and after World War II, conducting a popular and well-attended evening Bible school. A profitable campaign was conducted in 1951 by Ernest Woodhouse. Five weeks of meetings were held with Bram Reed in the fall of 1953. Alfred P. Gibbs was among those whose visits encouraged the growth of the assembly. By 1955, some 100 were in fellowship, with a Sunday school running as high as 250; a Gospel rally on Saturday evenings was broadcast over the radio.
In addition to those already named, leadership over the years has included commended workers H. Addison Welch, Arnold Reynolds, Brian Fox, Tom Ryan, and Richard Strout and his son Mark. Grace Chapel, Sherbrooke, QC carried on regular Gospel services in the surrounding communities including those of Albert Mines and Canterbury. Several area assemblies sprang up due, in part, to the efforts of these believers. The assembly at Grace Chapel, Sherbrooke, QC participated in the establishment of a Christian campground, known as Frontier Lodge, on Lake Wallace near the Vermont border, about 40 miles south of Sherbrooke. The assembly also participated in the beginnings of two Christian retirement homes in the area – Grace Christian Home and Connaught Home. The assembly has commended workers to Angola, Nigeria, and to French work in Quebec. About 65 adults and youngsters attend Grace Chapel, Sherbrooke, QC today.
Huntingville Community Church, QC began in 1955 as a mission outreach of nearby Grace Chapel, Sherbrooke, QC. Huntingville is a village of about 600 predominantly English_speaking people. Meeting initially in the Huntingville Community Church, QC building, the assembly now has its own building on Campbell Avenue. Those initiating the assembly were William Klinck, Gordon Wright, Arthur Heath, and Arthur Hill. Andrew Patton was responsible for much of the preaching in the early days. Norman Gentry followed Mr. Patton in that role. Prior to 1964, the nucleus of Christians at the Huntingville Community Church, QC still went to the Sunday evening Lord’s Supper at [[Grace Chapel, Sherbrooke, QC]; after that they instituted their own Sunday evening Remembrance Meeting, and later changed it to Sunday mornings.
As the work grew, the assembly was able to engage a full_time worker. After the Gentrys left, Robert Seale, Leslie Picard, and Mark Strout have served as full_time workers. David Dytynyshyn currently serves in that capacity. Other leadership has included Gordon Warnholtz, Richard Stymiest and Warren Heath. Huntingville Community Church, QC has commended workers to the Lord’s service in Africa and Madagascar. With several types of programs for all ages, the assembly has an average Sunday morning attendance of about 300.
In about 1946, Mrs Altheas Young of Stanstead, just north of the Vermont border, was a patient of Arthur Hill. He gave her a Bible and invited her to a gospel meeting at [[Grace Chapel, Sherbrooke, QC]. Soon, she and her husband were saved.
They commuted 35 miles each Sunday to Grace Chapel, Sherbrooke, QC. Arthur Hill suggested that they have Bible studies in their home, to be conducted by a number of young men, several from Emmaus Bible School. After two years, in 1948, a hall was rented in the town and an assembly formed – Stanstead Gospel Chapel, QC.
Those who initiated the assembly included Harry Pilkington, Lloyd Alan, Sydney Surlander, Roy Langley, Art Chamberlain, Mike Utz, Keith Orr, Joe Wooton, Ed Anderson, Jim Grady, Spencer Dibble, and Gordon Warnholtz. Doris Pitman and Ednas Climber conducted children’s meetings at that time.
In 1959, Miss Doreen Neil came from British Columbia to teach in Stanstead. She was instrumental in Lawrence Wallace’s decision to sell his business and come to work in the assembly full time. Believers from adjacent Rock Island and Beebe on the Vermont border, helped. Roy Buttery, while living in Waterloo, would go to Stanstead to give help when he could.
In 1960 the assembly had dwindled to a dozen, but subsequently grew to approximately 35 by 1962. They purchased a lot that year on which to build a basement, and later an above-ground auditorium. Mr. Lawrence Wallace conducted a home meeting at nearby Graniteville where each Friday evening 40 gathered to hear the Gospel, many of them teenagers. The work at Stanstead Gospel Chapel, QC carries on today, being blessed by the ministry of the Walter Scott family. The assembly is also known by its French names Assemblée chrétienne de Stanstead, QC and L’Assemblée de Stanstead, QC.
Grace Chapel, Sherbrooke, QC
Letters of Interest, June 1945, p. 13; September 1946, p. 33; June 1948, p. 19; May 1950, p. 17; October 1955, p. 14; November 1955, p. 7; January 1958, p. 3; June 1962, p. 21; July/August September 1963, p. 8; April 1971, p. 16; September 1973, p. 6; January 1985, p. 8.